Doing an internship abroad is a great way to gain international work experience, and to boost your CV. This page helps you to find internships, discover the right contact people and check insurance for your period abroad.

Go International for all

All students, irrelevant of background, have equal and fair access and possibility to participate. You are always welcome to contact us if you have any questions, if you are in need of support, or if you have a disability. Additional scholarship funds are available within some exchange programs for students who, for example, travel with a child or have a permanent disability.

Information regarding the coronavirus and COVID-19

Due to the outbreak of the coronavirus and COVID-19, the University is following the updates and recommendations from The Public Health Agency.

Information and recommendations regarding the coronavirus

First steps towards your internship abroad

Start by contacting either your programme, course coordinator or your department’s internship coordinator to discuss opportunities available to you. You can also directly contact a company or organisation that you are interested in. Your faculty or department might also have international networks through research collaborations and exchange agreements.

Contact for international opportunities

Faculty-specific information on internships

For students at the Department of Global Political Studies (GPS), there is specific information when applying for internships.

Erasmus + internship scholarship in Europe

If you are doing an internship or conducting field studies for your thesis in Europe, you can apply for a scholarship from Erasmus+.

Read more about the Erasmus+ traineeship scholarship

Kammarkollegiet's insurance: Student-OUT

Students who are doing an internship abroad under an agreement between Malmö University and a foreign educational institution, company or other institution, are covered by the group insurance policy Student OUT. This is provided by Kammarkollegiet. Make sure to read the terms and conditions before you go abroad. 

Please note that: 

  • Student OUT does not provide any coverage if you are studying from somewhere other than your host country. If you are conducting distance studies from Malmö, or somewhere other than the place where your host university is situated, you will need an additional insurance. 
  • The insurance does not cover any travels outside the host country. The exemptions are study trips with a supervisor where Kammarkollegiet have been notified in advance. 
  • From 1 July 2021 the Student OUT insurance will not be valid for travels to countries or regions where the Ministry for Foreign Affairs advice against all travels. The advice against travels should be in place at the time of your travels for the insurance not to be valid. If you started your travels before the advice against travels, you are covered by the insurance for a maximum of 30 days when the advice applies. During this time you are expected to travel back to Sweden. More information about the Ministry for Foreign Affairs advice against travels can be found on the Governmental offices website (in Swedish).
  • From July 1, 2021; if the country of study is the country in which you are domiciled, the only clauses that apply are 2.1 Personal injury cover and 2.5 Liability cover.

If something happens during the time you are away, you report this by making a claim. Information about the claim form can be found on the Kammarkollegiet's website.

Terms and conditions, Student OUT