Once you have finished your studies you can apply for your degree certificate. On this page you will find a guide to applications as well as general rules and information about degree certificates.

Digital degree certificates

As of January 1, 2022, Malmö University issues digital degree certificates.

We will send your digital degree certificate to your e-mail according to Ladok. Please make sure your contact information in Ladok is correct before applying for your degree.

The degree certificate is a PDF-file with a digital signature. You can forward it to employers and other universities digitally. This avoids paper copies and scanning.

For questions on digital degree certificates, please contact the Degree Office at examen@mau.se.

Rules and regulations for degrees

In order to be awarded a degree, the courses listed in your application must fulfil the degree requirements of your main field of study. 

Programme students

In the syllabus, you can find the list of courses you need to complete to obtain your degree as a programme student. Generally, if you have completed your studies according to your syllabus, and completed all the listed courses, you will fulfil the degree requirements.  

To find your syllabus, visit utbildningsinfo.mau.se find your programme and select the year you were admitted to the programme.

Freestanding courses

If you have not studied a full programme, your application for a degree certificate is evaluated according to the Degree Requirements (Examensbeskrivning) for your main field of study. The Degree Requirement documents are only available in Swedish.

This type of degree usually requires a certain number of credits and in-depth studies within a main field of study, as well as a stated number of credits from elective courses. There are exceptions, as some degrees from Malmö University require that the main field of study is combined with courses from a certain disciplinary domain.

If you want more information, please contact the Degree Office.

Legal framework for issuing degrees

The requirements for degree certificates are governed by the Qualifications Ordinance, an appendix to the Higher Education Ordinance. In addition, each university has the right to further regulate the degree requirements.

Read more in the Qualifications Ordinance (uhr.se)

For older regulations please contact the Degree Office.

Applying by form

If you can’t access or apply though Ladok Student, you can apply for a degree certificate using one of the forms below.

Things to consider when applying by form

Fill out the form and send it by e-mail to examen@mau.se or postal address:

Malmö University
Degree Office
205 06 Malmö

If you have changed your name or received a Swedish personal identity number (personnummer) you need to make sure that your account at Ladok Student is updated. You can email the Ladok department for help at ladok@mau.se

Do I need to send a transcript of records?

You do not need to include a transcript of records (Ladok result certificate) if:

  • All your courses are from Malmö University and you want all courses included in your degree certificate.
  • You have studied a full programme, and you are applying for a degree from that programme.

You must include a transcript of records (Ladok result certificate) with your application form if:

  • You have read more courses/credits than are required for a degree.
  • You have courses from other Swedish universities you want to include in your degree.

Print your transcript using Ladok Student or contact a student administrator at your faculty to have one sent to you.

Indicate which courses you want to be included in your degree and include it with your application form.

Processing your application and reply

Reply to degree certificate application

After your application has been processed, and if the courses you listed meet the degree requirements, your degree certificate will be awarded. We will send the certificate to your e-mail registered in Ladok, or the one you printed on your application.

The front page of the degree certificate states the degree title you have been awarded and your main subject. Your courses are listed on the following pages. All information is given in both Swedish and English.

You will also receive a Diploma Supplement issued in English. It describes the Swedish qualification you have been awarded, its position in the system of qualifications, and the Swedish education system. The intention is to make it easier for Swedish graduates to study or work in other countries.

Rejected applications and appeals

If we do not find that your application meets the requirements, you will receive a letter with an official decision rejecting your application. If you find the grounds of the decision unclear, you are welcome to contact the Degree Officer who processed your application. You will find their contact information in the letter.

If you disagree with the decision you have the right to appeal the decision within 3 weeks. Your appeal should be sent to Malmö University's Degree Office, but the final decision will be made by the Higher Educations Appeals Board, a national public authority.

More information about the appeal's process from the Higher Educations Appeals Board

New or changed degree certificate

The degree certificate that you receive is the original document. If your certificate is lost or destroyed, you can contact Malmö University Archive and an official copy can be issued, email arkiv@mau.se.

You need to include your name, Swedish personal identity number, and the year your degree was issued in the email. You also need to write your current address since the copy will be sent via mail, or your e-mail if you would like a digital copy.

New or changed personal data

If you have received a new Swedish personal identity number (personnummer) you can contact the Degree Office and request a new original degree certificate. This applies if, for example, your certificate was issued with a temporary identity number, you have received a protected identity, or have gone through a gender confirmation process and have been issued a new identity number.

You cannot receive a new original certificate if you have changed your name.

Comments and complaints

Comments and complaints directed at the Degree Office are submitted to Annika Pfannenstill, the Head of Student Administration, at annika.pfannenstill@mau.se