There are several ways to get involved in student life beyond the classroom, whether that is with a student association or one outside the University. The Student Health Service also arranges fairs for students to meet non-profit organisations.
Student unions and associations
The student union is there to represents you. The student unions at Malmö University also arrange many social activities, such as introduction programmes, cultural events and political meetings.
Become a volunteer
There are many associations and organisations looking for volunteers. The volunteer agency 'Volontärbyrån' makes it easy for volunteers and non-profit organisations to find each other.
Being a buddy for students from around the world allows you to expand your network, make new friends and develop your language and leadership skills. The Buddy Programme is a valuable experience and will help prepare you for a global career. Do you know what makes the programme even better? You get to have fun while you help someone else.
The Buddy Programme matches students who have previous experience of living and studying in Malmö with newly-arrived international students. Each year, Malmö University welcomes around 800 new international students, representing nearly 85 nationalities from all over the world. You can be proud to be part of a global student community in one of Sweden’s most diverse cities.
Due to the current circumstances, the Buddy Programme will be carried both online and on campus. Please let us know what option you prefer when you fill out your application!
- We are looking for students who can commit to being a Buddy for at least one semester. You are welcome to join no matter what level you are studying at. We are mainly looking for someone who has previous experience of living and/or studying in Sweden.
- As a buddy, you will have other buddies in your group and around 10 international students.
- Being a buddy means being a helping guide to students who have little to no prior experience of Malmö and Sweden. Things that might be everyday knowledge for you can be of great value for a new student coming from a different part of the world. Share your best tips and take part of each others' experiences!
- Being a buddy entails:
- participating in the kick-off events at the start of the semester
- activities in your buddy group throughout the semester
- Activities can range from going grocery shopping together, having a “fika” or going on a day trip to Copenhagen – feel free to get creative!
- You are welcome to plan activities with your group by yourself, or arrange for a bigger activity together with another buddy group.
- Are you willing to take on a little bit more responsibility in the group? Apply to become one of our team leaders! Each group will have a team-leader, who will be keeping in contact with the International Office throughout the semester. It is a way to develop your leadership skills, and is also a merit to put in your CV.
Good to know
- You will be awarded a certificate for your participation and hopefully have a bunch of new friends by the end of the semester!
- The Buddy Programme is a collaboration between the International Office and ESN Malmö. You can always turn to the International Office for guidance and support. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
The application is open! Fill out the form below!
Music at Malmö University
Malmö Academic Choir and Orchestra is recognised as one of the region’s most prominent ensembles. Both the choir and orchestra are known for their high level of musicianship, engaging concerts, and progressive repertoire.
How to join
Do you sing or play a classical instrument? Joining Malmö Academic Choir and Orchestra is a chance to play good music in good company. It’s also a great way to develop your musical skills while meeting new people as part of a friendly and dedicated ensemble. As a member, you will be granted access to rehearsal rooms at the University.
Anyone who wishes to join is required to audition. In terms of criteria, vocalists need to be able to read sheet music and have former experience of singing as part of an ensemble. Musicians must be highly proficient in their chosen instrument. Please note that rehearsals take place every week and that regular attendance is expected.
The orchestra rehearses every Tuesday, 18.30–21.00, and the choir rehearses every Wednesday, 18.30–21.00.
If you are interested in joining, contact Conductor and Artistic Director at Malmö University, Daniel Hansson, to schedule an audition. Please include a few lines about yourself, as well as a description of your musical background and where you have sung/played before.
Contact : email@example.com
Student Union Malmö
The Student Union Malmö is a non-profit, non-political and non-religious organisation. The Student Union Malmö is working for...
Malmö Academic Choir and Orchestra
Malmö Academic Choir and Orchestra is recognised as one of the region’s most prominent ensembles. Both the choir and orchestra...